Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Last Entry Here

Well, dramafreaks,

I just wanted to say how proud I've been of you the past few weeks. Oddly enough, I didn't think I could feel more proud than I was during Sunday's performance. Your pacing was wonderful, our birds were great, best articulation we've mustered, the tech was seamless (and the grill shift Nascar fast) and the audience response rewarded you. I believed every single one of you on stage. (True, Karl's butt dance caught me a little by surprise, but I guess that's what I get for asking you guys to give all the energy you could muster and leave it on the stage!) :-)

But you've melted my heart this week. Theatre offers up many life lessons, among them that you need to trust your instincts, cast and crew, and that you need to learn how to creatively solve problems when they come up. But one of the most important lessons that theatre teaches you is to believe in yourself. When the applause is there and the reviews are fantastic, it's easy to believe what you hear, and take credit for the hard work and the performance.
When the reviews are mixed, it's a little bit tougher. It would be easy to question our cast, me, the crew, the band, the script, whatever. It would be easy to start pointing fingers.

Instead, you've rallied together. Supported each other, both online and in the halls. I remember wondering at auditions how on earth we would form a family out of the rag-tag bunch on the cast list, and now I know. You've reminded yourselves and each other of the goals we set out in drama: that you gave your best performance, that you had fun, that you grew as performers, that you learned something new. You became a family, and I saw the best of that this week, demonstrated with class. You've made me so proud, you can't even imagine. (for crying out loud, I'm gushing sentimental. That's how proud I am of you right now.)

So it's with that note that I think we need to let our current productions page (this one) take a bit of a rest. We're all out of productions for this year.
Now that I'll probably have more time to post, check out the postings over at our green room page from here on out. There are some pretty cool things coming up, and I'll list them there today.

Cool stuff like: Free tickets to JC Superstar, cast party dates and locations, spring cleaning w/Matt, devious plans for next year (forming a first ever BHS production team, play selection, locations), and a field trip for anyone willing to drop some elbow grease with Matt-man's spring cleaning, etc. etc. etc.

I love you guys, more than you'll ever know.
Alb





:-)

5 Comments:

At 4/26/2006 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last entry here = unhappy. I think I'm in denial. "Long live the Birds!" right? Words cannot express how important theatre is to me, to all of us.
I said it once, and I will continue to say it for however long it takes to get the point accross. We love you too. I know that I do, and I know that I speak for much of the cast/crew in saying that.
Albrecht, you should be very proud of yourself in this. It's obvious that this would never have been possible without you. As the director, you are largely responsible for many of the things that make you proud of us. And we are proud of you for sticking with us until the end, and for believing in us despite our faults. You have always encouraged us to strive for what we think we can't reach, to fight through what is challenging. It has indeed been quite a ride, but a very worthwhile one. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and I wholeheartedly believe that we all would.
As for me, Albrecht, I'm sincerely thankful to you for everything you have done in my life. Without this show, I wouldn't have learned a lot of things. It was a very monumental experience for me, even if it was discouraging at times. I admit to being reluctant to try some things, but I grew in many ways. I put my trust in you, and I can't think of a better person to have trusted. You didn't let me down in any way, and you helped me to learn who I am and what I am capable of. You have helped me to see many things in myself, most of which do not belong posted for all to see. I am not sure that they even belong in words. What I've learned to you is largely in feeling and understanding. And I'm pretty sure you understand without words as it is.
As we've said, this production has essentially brought me out of my shell. And I'll admit it has taken a lot of effort. But I am proud of myself in this, and I do feel that my performance was to the best of my ability. I am forever thankful to you for bringing out the best in me. Sometimes, that is hard to do. But you managed it, I think because you always believed in me, and you made sure that I knew it. I've never doubted you in that aspect, and I've always trusted in your advice regarding my performance and generally my life.
We are a cast. Forever, I will look back on this experience positively and remember everyone I grew close to over the course of this production. We really did become a family, despite our apparent differences and often competing personalities. But even when the reviews do turn out a little mixed, we are not afraid to stand up for what we've worked for. We worked together, and so we stand together. Insult one bird, and be prepared to face the whole flock. We fly together. Always.
If you think you went gushing sentimental, I've gone overboard. But all of it is merited, and I would like to say that I am proud of each and every member of the Birds for sticking it out to the end. It took a lot, but it was worth it. We all "played our part" to the best of our ability. Dedication pays off. I'm glad to be able to call myself a part of this.
I know, that even though I never got wings, that I have still been turned into a high-flier. And I have you to thank for teaching me how to fly.
I love you Albrecht. You are an amazing woman, an amazing director, an amazing teacher (though I've never had your class, you teach me important things each day), but perhaps most of all, an amazing friend.

 
At 4/28/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Nina said...

oh gorsh guys, i need a tissue!!

Well, cuz it's allergy season...

But really, alb, you made me take my stage managing round up skills to a whole new level. I am now the DOMINATRIX and will go by no other identification. thank you and have a good day.

You have given me the strength to say "Damn you! I'm the DOMINATRIX and you will do as I say!!" (sound of a whip in background breaking the sound barrier once, maybe twice if I'm feeling good).

 
At 4/28/2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Nina said...

pretty sure we should all rent out the little theatre this summer and LIVE together and have one big cast party for like, a long time!!

nah, it wouldn't work, but i sure miss you guys. Alb, it was such an HONOR to work with you, to be with you!!! I mean that when I say it. I miss those phone calls...

 
At 4/29/2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Albie said...

Nina -- I will call you again soon, I promise :-) Right now I'm in the cities at Perpich -- and based on what I've seen and heard, I am more convinced than ever that the birds was the best show for us to do -- and that we did exactly what we set out to do! Huzzah!

And I think I'm pleased when I hear you've embraced that inner personality, I think...

re: the little theatre this summer -- I've been kicking around the idea that we should do theatre in the park on a regular basis -- like reserve a day a week, and hope that you guys will come out to try out scenes, improv, oh I don't know what... but to keep those creative juices going!

You guys do rock my world :-)

 
At 5/07/2006 9:17 AM, Blogger the dain train said...

i'm depressed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home