Tuesday, June 13, 2006

What to do now?

In between shows, you might want to check out some of the newest plays that are out there.
Here's a great place to start: did you guys catch the Tony Awards this week?

The public library has some decent collections of (especially) classic scripts.
Did you know that you can also check out library materials from the Perpich Center for the Arts? (you might need an adult to vouch for you, and it does require filling out a simple form.)

Or, try building up your own drama library.
Some of the biggest distributors of scripts include Samuel French, Dramatists Play Service, Baker's Plays and Dramatic Publishing. Most run from $4 - $20, depending on whether they're part of a collection, how new they are, etc. You can also find all sorts of scripts out on the net by searching reputable theatre sources.

Theatre books/scripts I've consumed and still on my reading list this summer:
review of A Practical handbook for the Actor
The Director's Voice (those of you who've seen me know how much I'm enjoying this re-read!)
review of Gretowski's Towards a Poor Theatre
Cyrano de Bergerac translated by Hooker
Blue Collar Blues by Denise Dillard
Little Moon of Alban by James Costigan
The Diviners by [argh]
You Can't Take it With You by Moss Hart/George S. Kaufman
The HotL Baltimore by
Shakespeare's Twelth Night and The Tempest
at least one Tom Stoppard play
The Underpants by Steve Martin
Jabberwock -- and A Thurber Carnival by James Thurber
Anne of a 1000 Days by Maxwell Anderson
Gleason's Pink Panther Returns.
PIG by Tammy Ryan
Proof by David Auburn
Harvey by Mary Coyle Chase
American Daughter by Wendy Wasserstein
-- I may also reread her earlier stuff as well -- the Heidi Chronicles, Uncommon Women, etc.
On Borrowed Time by Paul Osborn

Ha-ha. I look back and am reminded of some unfulfilled New Year's Resolutions. This is by no means an exhaustive list. It'll be fun to see how far I get, and what I undoubtably will add.

Attend a show.
Of course, I'm going to try to make it to as many theatrical events as possible. A few trips to either side of the state (Moorhead, Twin Cities) are in order. I'll check out some homegrown talent. And of course we're trying to encourage Elijah to try out for the summer children's show during Pine River's Summerfest. I think they're doing Cinderella. He's already stated that he'd rather run the light boards. And so it comes full circle. Dens, you've corrupted my son.

1 Comments:

At 6/17/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Mac said...

Hey... Yeah, the updates appear to be working. Don't know if you've figured that out yet, but my internet has been down the past few days. So yeah... I see waiting in the wings and everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home