Friday, September 01, 2006

And the fall show is...

By now, many of you have heard about the fall play choice. In case you haven't, I'll fill you in.
I read about 40 scripts in June. I narrowed the field down to shows that might be suited well to our stage and potential casts/crews. I shared the scripts with a few graduated theatre folks and gathered some feedback over coffee. (This was quite fun and highly insightful.)

After careful consideration, I've selected Jim Leonard's acclaimed drama, The Diviners. I have a few copies on hand if you'd like to peruse the script prior to auditions. Of course, please share the scripts with your fellow theatre freaks or return them so that others also have access!

You can find all sorts of info on specifics in the show, like the time period, what diviners are or what water divining/dousing is, etc. out on the web. There is a strong tradition of water dousing throughout the U.S. I have a neighbor who claims to have the ability. Having said that, the play does not ask the audience or performers to believe in dousing. Rather, it uses dousing as an explanation for the special skills that Buddy Layman possesses. And because you might know that I love to over-research, here is a link to a load of images I found tonight that resemble what life might have been like during this time period.

What I love right now about this play is the number of avenues and themes that we'll be able to explore!

And now I want to emphasize the importance of our theatre community here. Some of you may feel some concern. Yes, the cast is smaller than shows we did last year (there are 11 speaking roles, with room for additional non-speaking roles as well). Don't let that discourage you! There are plenty of opportunities to be involved with BHS Drama. Remember that our theatre family isn't reserved just for the folks who happen to be currently on stage. It takes a whole village to kick off a successful production! This year we'll especially need to pull together, since we don't have a Matt-tech-god here to help us. I'm most interested in team players willing to share/devote their time and energies in all sorts of ways to the success of our season!

Looking for:


  • actors
  • stage managers/assistant directors/rehearsal assistants
  • a dulcimer player
  • construction help
  • props
  • lighting (crew and board)
  • costume creation/aquiring and coordination
  • makeup and hair
  • sound
  • PR (advertising: coordinating radio/news, posters, etc)
  • box office and house management
  • research and display
  • a fun and games committee

Also, remember that there will be ample performance and other opportunities this year!
* Our spring show, for example, is a wonderful romantic comedy with a cast of approximately 20.
* We haven't settled on a one-act yet, but remember that this, too, is another theatre opportunity.
* Last year we attempted to launch a student produced series. I'll be looking for your feedback on whether that is an activity worth pursuing, and when in the school year it should fall.

Look for posters around the school (or come help me hang them up!)
The back to business theatre info meeting will be Friday September 8 after school in A100. Or, of course feel free to drop by any time for a visit. You all know where I live.
Auditions for The Diviners will be the following week.
Opening night is the week following Thanksgiving (Dec. 1, 2, 3).

I do honestly need some help coming up: As most of you know, ISD 181 is facing some serious financial challenges. In order to generate revenue, they rented out our scene shop. Yes, this was quite upsetting at first, but since it's a reality, our best option is to put a positive spin on this. I think we've secured some space for storage, but we will need some help moving our materials and organizing the new space. The idea is that the new space will be a more permanent place so that we can avoid future moves. Of course any help is incredibly appreciated. Many hands make light work, and usually can also lift pizzas...

Hurray! Huzzah! I can't wait to jump into another season with the coolest artists in the world!


  • Alb

5 Comments:

At 9/02/2006 1:31 PM, Blogger Mac said...

Like I've said, I'm coming on board as a techie this year. Do what you want with my skills (or lack thereof). I'm excited for this theatre season, and I'm happy you are going with the Diviners. This year is going to be awesome. I'm bummed that I can't be here for the Spring play though. But rest assured, I will help as much as I can before I leave!

 
At 9/02/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger LogGamer said...

Hey, I already got the script, but I have something else I want to mention. All this blog switching kind of bothers me, so I'm in the process of setting up a message board (so we can have multiple forums, but all in one place). Let me know what you think of this!

 
At 9/03/2006 8:45 AM, Blogger the dain train said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! i'm excited.

 
At 9/05/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Albie said...

Logan --
I'd love to link from here to your blog, although I am confused by "all this blog switching."
The URLs have remained the same since I launched the drama blogs. The only things that have changed are the window dressings: background decor and the title (which should not affect links or shortcuts to get here.)
However, of course you're welcome to launch a blog!

 
At 9/06/2006 5:29 AM, Blogger LogGamer said...

Blog =/= forum. I'll try to explain at school today. And I didn't mean that you switched blogs, but there are three, and I have to switch between them, which bothers me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home